Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Sukhbaatar Adventures


7/1/13

It is currently almost midnight in Darkhan, Mongolia, and I have some time to work on a blog post after our first full day of Mid-Center Days, which is a Peace Corps training workshop halfway through Pre-Service Training (PST).  I spent most of my evening after our sessions were over looking for nice black shoes or flats in my size (US women’s 10, or Mongolian 42), and was unsuccessful so far.  I underestimated how many shoes I would need during PST, and I don’t want to wear out my one pair of nice tan boots so quickly by wearing them every single day.  Mongolians all have small feet, and several of the shop ladies told me that Mongolians don’t wear my size, looking at my feet like they were deformed.  Hopefully I will have some more luck tomorrow, when I plan on going to the State Department Store, which is a more expensive place but seems to have more variety. 

It is pretty crazy to think that I have already been in Mongolia for an entire month.  One current volunteer summarized how time passes in Mongolia:  the days are long and the weeks are fast.  Training is going well so far, and my host family is great.  My host mom called me this afternoon to check up on me—she is feeling pretty sad today, since my host brother left for a few weeks in the countryside yesterday, and my host sister left tonight to go to summer camp near Erdenet, the third largest city in Mongolia. 


It has been a while since my last post, and I want to talk about some things that happened a few weeks ago.  On our second weekend in Sukhbaatar, a group of the Health and TEFL (teaching English as a foreign language) volunteers went for a hike up the mountain range just north of the town.  The mountains of Mongolia are very old mountains, leveled by time and the elements, and so they are not high peaks that are difficult to climb.  It was a great time, and although I was really tired by the end, but the views were completely worth it.



Cute puppies like this are all over Sukhbaatar.  I just want to grab them all up and take them with me!!

Cute puppies are not the only animals around town.  I always walk by pigs or cows on my way back and forth from school as well.  They eat all of the grass around town, so no one has to mow.

There are beautiful sculptures and shrines all over the area, and it is fun to go to new areas, because you never know what unexpected surprise awaits.  

Up the first mountain with a great view of Sukhbaatar Soum, or Sukhbaatar town.

Farther north, the mountains get a bit more rockier.  The mountains themselves were beautiful, and the Mongolian sky is always so perfectly blue.

A panaramic view from the top of the highest mountain I climbed (not the highest one around, but I got tired).

Sukhbaatar was pretty far away at this point!





At some point after the mountain adventure, Sukhbaatar had a few rainy afternoons that led to some amazing rainbows and beautiful sunsets.  My family and I often walk around in the evenings, either going to the store or visiting friends.  My mother doesn’t have a car or a license, and says walking is good for your health.  It is really great to see more of Sukhbaatar, and see family friends around as well. 



After a rainy afternoon, a huge rainbow appeared in my back yard!

The rainbow was so intense, you could see all of the colors, as well as multiple rainbows close together.  I have never seen such a bright and long-lasting rainbow before.

After seeing the rainbow, we took a walk around town with another volunteer (Lorre) and her family.




On our walk, I took a shot of this sign in front of a school in Sukhbaatar: it shows the current Cyrillic alphabet used in Mongolia, and the previous writing form, the Mongolian script on the left.  I think the script is beautiful, and it is still used in many different situations.  Mongolian children learn how to read and write the script in school, but for most people it is much more difficult to use than the standard Cyrillic.



On the walk home, the sky was full of pretty blues and pinks.  I am convinced that the Mongolian sky is always beautiful!






I will try to sneak online again during my next few days in Darkhan if I can use internet during off-times.  When all of the Peace Corps Trainees are trying to access the internet at once, no one can get anything done.  I will try to get up to my current times before the exciting events of the next few weeks: American Independence Day on July 4; and Naadam, Mongolian Independence Celebration on July 11-12!




1 comment: